The process of finding a reputable and suitable dance school can be overwhelming, especially if you're new to the world of dance. From ballet to hip hop, jazz to contemporary, the options can be endless. But fear not! In this post, we'll guide you through the dance school dilemma and provide you with tips on what to look out for when searching for a dance school. So whether you're searching for a dance class near you or looking to find a dance class that suits your child's needs, we've got you covered!
Here are some key things to look out for when searching for a dance school:
1. Experience and qualifications of teachers: Make sure the dance school you're considering has teachers who are experienced and qualified in the style of dance your child is interested in. Look for teachers who have trained at reputable dance schools, have relevant teaching qualifications and experience, are fully DBS checked and hold current certificates.
2. Variety of dance styles: It's important to find a dance school that offers a variety of dance styles, as this can help your child discover their strengths and interests. A school that only focuses on one style of dance may not be the best fit for a child who is interested in exploring different styles and maximising their repertoire.
3. Class size and structure: Find out about the class size and structure of the dance school you're considering. Classes that are too large may not provide individual attention, while classes that are too small may not offer enough opportunities to learn from other students. Also, find out if the school offers beginner, intermediate and advanced levels to cater to students of different skill levels.
4. Facilities and equipment: Look for a dance school that has adequate facilities and equipment. The dance studio should have enough space for students to move freely and practice safely, and the flooring should be appropriate for the type of dance being taught. The school should also have proper equipment such as ballet barres, mirrors, and sound systems.
5. Performance opportunities: Performance opportunities can be an important part of a dance student's development. Find out if the dance school you're considering offers regular performances or competitions, as this can help your child gain confidence and experience in front of an audience.
6. Policies and procedures: It's important to understand the policies and procedures of the dance school, such as tuition fees, payment schedules, dress codes, attendance requirements, and cancellation policies. Make sure you're comfortable with the school's policies before enrolling your child.
7. Safety measures: Finally, make sure the dance school takes appropriate safety measures to ensure the well-being of its students. This includes having trained staff on-site, providing adequate supervision during classes, and having appropriate first-aid equipment and procedures in place.